|menu/||HELP TERMINALLY ILL CHILDREN|
change the world
|the international starlight
The Starlight Children's Foundation is an international charity with offices in the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia.
The Starlight Children's Foundation of Australia was initiated by prominent business and sporting personalities in 1988.
Starlight aims to brighten the lives of as many seriously ill children and their families by the granting of wishes and providing entertainment both in and out of hospitals throughout Australia.
Starlight touches the lives of over 200,000 seriously ill children and their families each year.
Starlight Children's Foundation Australia is entirely funded within Australia for Australian children.
Starlight grants the wish of any child between the ages of four and eighteen who suffers from a serious illness.
Starlight will not discriminate in endeavouring to help all seriously ill children in Australia and will resist undue religious, ethnic or political persuasion.
Starlight will not exploit the children, their families or their circumstances.
The most common illnesses of Starlight wish recipients are leukaemia, other cancers, kidney disease, cystic fibrosis, AIDS, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and cerebral palsy.
Starlight encourages the entire family to be part of the wish and includes the special needs of the family to enhance the wish experience.
Starlight in Australia has completed over 2,800 wishes to date.
There are five Starlight Express Rooms currently operating around Australia. (International visitors, please scroll down to other links.) These are located at:
- The Children's Hospital at Westmead;
- The Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick;
- The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne;
- The Mater Children's Hospital in Brisbane; and
- The Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth.The Starlight Express Rooms are separately funded entertainment and recreation facilities in major children's hospitals. Each room is run by its own Captain Starlight and Starbright and is open up to seven days a week.
Starlight's innovative Fun Centre program, fondly known as "Squeals on Wheels" assist over 120 hospitals throughout Australia.
These mobile entertainment units can be wheeled from bed to bed. The Fun Centres contain a colour monitor, VCR and Nintendo 64 Games System that entertains hospitalised children for hours.
In 1999 the Starlight Express Outreach Van program commenced taking Captain Starlight on the road to put smiles on the faces of children in the smaller regional and metropolitan areas.
Starlight has over 700 volunteers who specialise in wish granting, fundraising, administration or the Starlight Express Rooms.
Both wish granting and Starlight Express Room volunteers undergo extensive training.
Starlight does not receive any government funding and is funded entirely by; individuals, corporations, special events, cause related marketing promotions and in kind support of both goods and services.
Starlight ensures the maximum percentage of funds raised flows directly to the children by minimising overheads and soliciting donations of time, goods and services in everything it does.
Starlight does not aspire to be the biggest but always to be the best. Our aim is to help as many seriously ill children as possible but to do so in a personal and quality manner that embodies the Starlight family.
volunteering for the starlight foundation
Everyday, in big and small ways, right around the country, our band of volunteers make the Starlight magic happen. Here are some of the ways you can help make the dreams of Starlight a reality:
- Granting the wish of a seriously ill child;
- Helping initiate and implement activities in these state-of-the-art playrooms with audio-visual equipment that becomes a high-tech sanctuary for hospitalised children (currently in Sydney, Melbourne & Perth);
- Helping to set up Starlight fundraising functions and working on events e.g. Star Day, Compaq Starlight Cup Tennis Tournament and special one-off events;
- Assisting during working hours in the office doing Word Processing, data entry, Reception work, mail-outs and photocopying;
- Attending fundraising events;
- Visiting schools and community groups; and
- Accepting contributions on Starlight's behalf.
Volunteers are integral to our programs. They are carefully screened
and provided with training.
granting a wish
- A travel or destination experience;
- Meeting a famous person;
- A material gift (eg: computer); and
No matter what the wish may be, the experience is
a magical one that uplifts the family and child as they cope with
the stress of a serious illness.
"I canít wait to grant my next one!"
© 2002 Starlight
And there's no reason why after reading this, you don't
start making plans to manifest the dearest
wish of one you love - don't wait until they're sick, start now
LINKS ON THIS SITE